African Safari 2010  Header

Gene & Lee's African Safari
South Africa - April 28 to May 24, 2010


Introduction to our African adventure!

April 28 - Edmonton to Calgary

April 29 - Calgary to Frankfurt

April 30 - Frankfurt to Jo'burg

May 01 - Jo'burg

May 02 - Jo'burg to Livingstone

May 03 - Victoria Falls, Zambia

May 04 - Livingstone to Jo'burg

May 05 - Jo'burg to Hazyview

May 06 - Kruger National Park

May 07 - Kruger National Park

May 08 - Kruger to Pongola

May 09 - Pongola to Durban

May 10 - Durban to Cape Town

May 11 - Cape Town to Gordon's Bay

May 12 - Gordon's Bay / Gansbaai

May 13 - Gordon's Bay / Stellenbosch

May 14 - Cape Town to Jo'burg

May 15 - Jo'burg to Lephalale

May 16 - First day of hunting safari

May 17 - Second day of hunting safari

May 18 - Third day of hunting safari

May 19 - Fourth day of hunting safari

May 20 - Fifth day of hunting safari

May 21 - Sixth day of hunting safari

May 22 - Seventh day of hunting safari

May 23 - Jo'burg to Frankfurt

May 24 - Frankfurt to Calgary


Saturday, May 22nd - Seventh day of hunting safari

Harold and I were up for breakfast to go look for my warthog. Jumping into the truck with Hans and Freckie at 6:15, we did the 20 minute drive to the property to again meet the owner. By 6:45 we had dropped Hans where we'd given up the chase last night and then we positioned us and the truck on a parallel trail in case the hog was pushed thru. After an hour we still hadn't heard from Hans, but then Bwana Pieter pulled up. He had decided to come out and lend Hans a hand, so he took Freckie and they drove over to the drop off point in his truck.

We waited at our truck for another half hour when all of a sudden Bwana Pieter was on the radio. He asked that we drive the truck over to where his was parked and to join them there. I jumped in the reverse driver's side, fired up the land cruiser diesel, figured out the gears and idled down the trails until we found them. When we could finally see Bwana Pieter's truck we could see all three of them standing there. A bit puzzled we drove on and when we got a little closer we got the big thumbs up. They had just found my warthog a couple of minutes after they had called us to join them. The reason they had called us before they found him was that Bwana Pieter had spotted a blood trail coming back across the trail so he knew the pig wouldn't be coming our way if he was still alive.

As it turned out the warthog dropped just inside the brush within 20 yards of where we'd had to stop the search the night before. If we would have had another 15 minutes of light last night we might have found him. And sure enough, I had shot him quite far back. So after pictures and high fives all around, we loaded my trophy into the truck and were back at camp by 8:30.

click picture to enlarge

We spent the rest of the morning and all afternoon wandering around the property, reading, packing, and just generally being lazy. This was the first time in twenty-five days we really had most of the day with nothing to do. Bwana Pieter presented us with our final bill for the meals, accommodation, hospitality and the hunting and it was exactly what we had been led to expect, and not one rand more.

click picture to enlarge

While I was wandering about, I took the opportunity to take some pictures of some of the different types of prickles that'll get you in the African bush. These are just a few.

click picture to enlarge

Dinner was after Rod, Quentin and Arlene returned from their afternoon hunt. Rod was looking for a warthog but by the time they got onto a good one they ran out of daylight. As well, Quentin was looking for a big tusker as but wasn't able to find one. Arlene, who is an avid hunter but came on this trip as an observer, finally couldn't resist and took a very respectable blesbok.

We spent our last evening at Cruiser's just visiting with our fellow hunters, the professional hunters and Bwana Pieter. I heard through the grapevine that Tiny even volunteered to do a pole dance. Also, I just want to mention here that Bwana Pieter is very playful and likes to play lots of tricks, like rum in your wineglass and plastic beetles on your plate at supper.

click picture to enlarge

We said our goodbyes to Quentin, Arlene and Rod as they would probably be gone hunting by the time we roll out in the morning. They're staying till Thursday and friends of theirs are being picked up in Jo'burg Monday morning for an eight day hunt. Got caught up on my notes before bedtime and turned in at 9:30.

<< Previous Day

Next Day >>

back to top