African Safari 2010  Header

Gene & Lee's African Safari
South Africa - April 28 to May 24, 2010


Introduction to our African adventure!

April 28 - Edmonton to Calgary

April 29 - Calgary to Frankfurt

April 30 - Frankfurt to Jo'burg

May 01 - Johannesburg

May 02 - Jo'burg to Livingstone

May 03 - Victoria Falls, Zambia

May 04 - Livingstone to Jo'burg

May 05 - Jo'burg to Hazyview

May 06 - Kruger National Park

May 07 - Kruger National Park

May 08 - Kruger to Pongola

May 09 - Pongola to Durban

May 10 - Durban to Cape Town

May 11 - Cape Town to Gordon's Bay

May 12 - Gordon's Bay / Gansbaai

May 13 - Gordon's Bay / Stellenbosch

May 14 - Cape Town to Jo'burg

May 15 - Jo'burg to Lephalale

May 16 - First day of hunting safari

May 17 - Second day of hunting safari

May 18 - Third day of hunting safari

May 19 - Fourth day of hunting safari

May 20 - Fifth day of hunting safari

May 21 - Sixth day of hunting safari

May 22 - Seventh day of hunting safari

May 23 - Jo'burg to Frankfurt

May 24 - Frankfurt to Calgary


Saturday, May 1st - Johannesburg

We landed on time in Johannesburg. We deplaned in pouring rain to a waiting bus, then into the terminal and into the passport control line. It took us about 45 minutes to move to the head of the line, but then a quick stamp and onward to pick up our luggage. We walked up to the luggage carousel and lo and behold, there were all six suitcases off to the side and waiting for us.

click picture to enlarge

From there we set off to find our rifle case. It appeared a few minutes later from a back room along the wall in the baggage area. After we confirmed it was ours, a porter put it on a buggy with a bunch of other cases and wheeled it over to the SAP (South African Police) office in the terminal. Meanwhile, we tried to locate our VIP permit guy we had hired to expedite our paperwork on the South Africa side. He was supposed to meet up with us before we went over to claim our rifles.

We finally found him, or he found us I'm not sure which, and into the SAP office Harold and I went with our new best friend Ari. The place was bustling, but Ari grabbed a policeman, pointed out our case and gave him the paperwork. The officer checked the serial numbers, signed the papers and we were out of there. The whole process took about 10 minutes tops.

After we gained possession of our rifles, Harold and Wendy went to rent a phone at the Voda shop and I went and purchased some Rand from the currency exchange store. Then, with luggage in tow and following Ari we went to find our ride. After a few minutes waiting at the curb outside, our driver Maurice and his wife pulled up in a van pulling a small cargo trailer. We loaded the luggage and away we went for the fifteen minute ride to our home for the night, the Afton Guest House.

click picture to enlarge

After we unloaded our luggage and stowed the gun case in the Afton House walk-in vault, we checked into our rooms for some needed rest and relaxation. At noon however, we decided some sleep was in order so it was off to bed until 5:00. Killing time before dinner, Harold and I found a couple of Castle beers in the honesty bar and kicked back with our first South African beer.

click picture to enlarge

Dinner was a barbeque at the guest house. The steaks were grilled to perfection by Ari who turned out to be the son-in-law of the owner of the Afton House, Annalise Bekker. Along with the steaks were a Greek salad, scalloped potatoes and garlic bread. All in all this was an excellent meal.

We spent a couple of hours after dinner just wandering through the guest house complex. The ladies found a jewellery and belt merchant who had set up shop in one of the rooms and Wend made a purchase. As well, Wendy set up her Magic Jack and I phoned sister Carole back home to chat and let her know we'd arrived.

click picture to enlarge

I finished making my notes for the day then off to bed at 11 p.m. Long day but everything went as planned.

<< Previous Day

Next Day >>

back to top