African Safari 2010  Header

Gene & Lee's African Safari
South Africa - April 28 to May 24, 2010


Introduction to our African adventure!

April 28 - Edmonton to Calgary

April 29 - Calgary to Frankfurt

April 30 - Frankfurt to Jo'burg

May 01 - Jo'burg

May 02 - Jo'burg to Livingstone

May 03 - Victoria Falls, Zambia

May 04 - Livingstone to Jo'burg

May 05 - Jo'burg to Hazyview

May 06 - Kruger National Park

May 07 - Kruger National Park

May 08 - Kruger to Pongola

May 09 - Pongola to Durban

May 10 - Durban to Cape Town

May 11 - Cape Town to Gordon's Bay

May 12 - Gordon's Bay / Gansbaai

May 13 - Gordon's Bay / Stellenbosch

May 14 - Cape Town to Jo'burg

May 15 - Jo'burg to Lephalale

May 16 - First day of hunting safari

May 17 - Second day of hunting safari

May 18 - Third day of hunting safari

May 19 - Fourth day of hunting safari

May 20 - Fifth day of hunting safari

May 21 - Sixth day of hunting safari

May 22 - Seventh day of hunting safari

May 23 - Jo'burg to Frankfurt

May 24 - Frankfurt to Calgary


Tuesday, May 4th - Livingstone to Jo'burg

Everyone was up at 7:00 for breakfast at 8:00. The buffet breakfast included with our rooms was very good again. During breakfast a monkey was hovering around the edge of the open air restaurant and was constantly chased off by the monkey patrol guy. However monkey man let up his guard for a second and in a flash the monkey grabbed a waffle off a lady's plate and was gone. After breakfast it was back to the room to pack for our airport shuttle departure at 11.

click picture to enlarge

We arrived at the airport at 11:45 to pandemonium. First we went through baggage x-ray where Lee would have lost her suitcase except for a vigilant Harold. He kept it moving forward while Lee was oblivious to having left it behind. From there it was to the British Airways check-in counter, then Customs, passport control and into the passenger lounge.

It was in the lounge that we discovered our 1:15 flight was delayed till 3:10 due to a morning fog in Jo'burg backing up flights for the day. Our Boeing 737 finally arrived when they said it would, we boarded and away we went. It was again a nice 1 ½ hour flight with free beverages and a complimentary sandwich.

After we landed in Jo'burg it was onto the shuttle, into the terminal, thru passport control again and to the luggage carousel. It was a fair hike from there to our hotel-for-the-night shuttle but we finally made it. And while we were hoofing it through the terminal, we ran into our Afton House driver from a few days ago. We finally managed to catch the shuttle but as we were pulling up to the Mondior Hotel entrance two full tour buses pulled up. Pandemonium in the lobby, but they had a special desk set up to distribute the keys for the bus people. We checked in and went up to the room for a hot shower before dinner.

click picture to enlarge

We ended up at Platia Greek Restaurant at the Emperors Palace complex for dinner. Emperors Palace is a Las Vegas style resort that includes four different hotels, 20 or so restaurants, a shopping mall and of course, a casino. Our Greek dinner was excellent and ended with a shot of Ouzo, breaking plates on the floor and joining in on a Greek conga line. We had some laughs and a lot of fun.

click picture to enlarge

From the restaurant, it was over to the casino. Their system for putting credits onto a machine was complex at best, but we finally managed to load the beasts and play for an hour or so. Lee dropped 110.00 rand and I made 400.00 so we did alright. Harold and Wendy made out about the same.

click picture to enlarge

At 11:00 we decided to call it quits and were in bed by 11:30.

<< Previous Day

Next Day >>

back to top