African Safari 2010  Header

Gene & Lee's African Safari
South Africa - April 28 to May 24, 2010


Introduction to our African adventure!

April 28 - Edmonton to Calgary

April 29 - Calgary to Frankfurt

April 30 - Frankfurt to Jo'burg

May 01 - Jo'burg

May 02 - Jo'burg to Livingstone

May 03 - Victoria Falls, Zambia

May 04 - Livingstone to Jo'burg

May 05 - Jo'burg to Hazyview

May 06 - Kruger National Park

May 07 - Kruger National Park

May 08 - Kruger to Pongola

May 09 - Pongola to Durban

May 10 - Durban to Cape Town

May 11 - Cape Town to Gordon's Bay

May 12 - Gordon's Bay / Gansbaai

May 13 - Gordon's Bay / Stellenbosch

May 14 - Cape Town to Jo'burg

May 15 - Jo'burg to Lephalale

May 16 - First day of hunting safari

May 17 - Second day of hunting safari

May 18 - Third day of hunting safari

May 19 - Fourth day of hunting safari

May 20 - Fifth day of hunting safari

May 21 - Sixth day of hunting safari

May 22 - Seventh day of hunting safari

May 23 - Jo'burg to Frankfurt

May 24 - Frankfurt to Calgary


Tuesday, May 11th - Cape Town to Gordon's Bay

We got up at 7 a.m. this morning. We were booked to take the Robben Island tour at 9 but with our late arrival last night and the miserable weather, we decided to forego it. Instead we took the hotel shuttle over to Victoria & Alfred Waterfront for breakfast. They dropped us at the Clock Tower and a short walk across the swing-aside bridge took us to a small Italian restaurant that was open. Omelettes and a cup of good strong coffee all the way round.

click picture to enlarge

After a very good breakfast we split up and toured the many shops throughout the waterfront district.

click picture to enlarge

Dominating the whole area was the enormous Victoria Mall which is very new and very modern. Trouble is that there are mostly national chain stores and we were looking for smaller, local crafty shops. After searching a bit we finally found the craft mall which was tucked off to the side but had a tremendous array of African crafts, paintings, linens etc. We managed to purchase a couple of pillow sham covers before it was time to meet back at the Clock Tower for the 11:15 shuttle back to the hotel.

click picture to enlarge

We were just about late catching the shuttle because we were on the wrong side of a channel when the foot bridge swung out of the way for a boat to pass through. Made it though and checked out of the Westin at 11:45, just in time to meet our current ride and guide, Deon Goosen (Goose) from Baleka Tours. Jackie, our host at the B&B we were going to be staying at, had arranged for Goose to pick us up and take us on a couple of tours. Unfortunately, her husband Glenn who was going to take us touring, passed away suddenly in January.

click picture to enlarge

Goose was to take us to Table Mountain before we left Cape Town but that couldn't happen because of the inclement weather. Heavy cloud blanketed the mountain and wasn't expected to lift for probably a week. So much for that plan, but more worrisome for us was it was looking like we probably weren't going to get on to the water during the next couple of days for our much anticipated shark diving adventure.

It took us about an hour and a half to reach Gordon's Bay, mainly because we did a pit stop at the local bottle store to replenish our rum, wine, beer, gin and brandy supplies. Goose kept up an interesting Cape Town history narrative the whole way. He also pointed out the local landmarks and drove us up to a high scenic viewpoint overlooking Gordon's Bay before dropping us at Berg en Zee Guest House.

click picture to enlarge

Located on the foothills of the Hottentots Holland mountain range, yet right on the beachfront, Berg en Zee on Gordon's Bay is a great base for day trips throughout the Cape. Jackie gave us a very warm welcome and gave us the cook's tour of her splendid guest house where we are going to be staying for the next three days. We settled in and unpacked in anticipation of our longest stay yet in one location. We spent the rest of the afternoon kicking back, relaxing, sorting pictures and just generally putzing.

click picture to enlarge

At around three, Jackie stopped by to tell us she had been in touch with Essie (Theunis Esterhuizen) at Shark Adventures. Conditions were starting to moderate somewhat and it was even clearing so they thought we would probably be able to go early in the morning, like 6:30 a.m. We were asked to call Essie at 5:45 in the morning to confirm that conditions would be suitable. Having no other options, we were okay with that.

click picture to enlarge

At 6 o'clock the four of us did the five minute walk down to the marina to a tavern named The Tavern. This place came highly recommended for seafood and as it turned out, their reputation was well deserved. Wendy had prawns in a tomato curry sauce and the rest of us had baked sole with a shrimp cream sauce. The best! And we washed it all down with some wine and Hansa Pilsner beer.

click picture to enlarge

After dinner we walked back to the guest house where we all decided it was going to be an early evening. It was off to bed at 9:30, after catching up on my day's notes.

<< Previous Day

Next Day >>

back to top